Tuesday, July 31, 2012
Oh man.. okay, I don't break news stories, but here's some interesting retail news in Asia lately -
1) American Apparel opens an online store in Singapore. Yippee for me, I need dance gear!
2) Baby Phat surfaces in Singapore, it's first store in Asia. Of all places, they end up at J-cube, which is a suburban mall. Shows just how dead the "Urban/hiphop" look is!
The fact that these American brands are trying to test the waters in Asia.. Hmm.. not sure! Yes, our economy is still growing over here, but I can tell you that we are feeling the effects of the slowdown too!.. By observation and a general feel of the retail scene in Singapore, I'm not sure how many of us can weather this downturn. They say that retailers are usually the last ones to feel this trickle down effect, but I think we all get a sense of how much customers are willing to spend in stores earlier than any one else because we are actually in the stores interacting with them!
3) H&M closes it's Central flagship store in HK, pointing to the fact that Asian cities have horribly HIGH RENTALS!! Sure if even H&M feels the pinch of the high rentals and the slowing economy (no more Chinese tourists), aren't we all doomed??
Outlook: A little shaky
Monday, July 30, 2012
Haha. So long trendspotters. With the rise of Pinterest & Instagram, who needs trend forecasting services anymore? Unfortunately, there are people like me who are innately just very curious about things visually & explorers by heart, who will always lust for a job like that. But but I can take pics for free! & with pretty filters ! <3 Instagram
Follow me at @uraraa123!
Follow me at @uraraa123!
1. URARAA at STClassifieds event over the weekend
2. The Mono+ & URARAA booth
3. Froyo from Mission Juice, one of our sponsors for our upcoming event!
4. Trunks & baskets at Arab St
5. Dessert at a French cafe around Arab St
6. Sidecar from Jigger & Pony bar
7. Dessert from Balzac Brasserie
8. Pastel meringues from Cake Over Heels, another one of our event sponsors!
9. Door to Nior Spa, also our event sponsor!
Tuesday, July 24, 2012
Ahh.. my own special Art Day. I went to a talk not too long ago & the speaker was talking about how everyone creative should go off & experience their own Art Days by themselves. I thought that was a very important thing, to refresh & renew. So of course I popped by the Singapore Art Museum. Loved it! Some really dark, brooding works by Chinese artist Jia Aili and then off to some interesting pop art-type stuff at the Art Garden at 8Q & the Learning Gallery. Pretty cool Asian contemporary stuff! What I love about art is that you look at it, you may or may not get it, but somehow or other it triggers another subconscious process in your head & a few months later, you seemingly do get it after all...
Friday, July 20, 2012
Woohoo! Another lovely pop-up shop in London for OC, just in time for the London Olympics of course! That's pretty much where they got their name, you know. Ie. opening ceremonies for the Olympics, how the Olympics merges sports, business & global participation etc. Anyways, as always, love their style & concept. And they have plenty of limited edition OC collabs with designers like Chloe Sevigny, Boy by Band of Outsiders, Adidas Originals etc. Love Love!
Wednesday, July 11, 2012
Will this be the next thing for high-end designers? To do collaborations with artists to promote their brand? Cos we all know who first pushed the collab idea, it was H&M right..? Or Target?
Looks like luxury brands are really pushing for presence everywhere these days! And trying to stay relevant!.. Hmm, as if they didn't have enough of a marketing budget anyways..
Who knew it would turn out to be a Jessie J inspired look?
Tuesday, July 3, 2012
Yup! There I said it.
It applies to everything fashion. You want to look different from everyone else, but you don't want to look too different from everyone else. Get it? You still need to follow the trends but style yourself your own way with by mixing & matching. #tipoftheday
(I for one like the strangest things - zombies, grindhouse, oldoldold buildings, baroque style, comedy nights, whisky)